Although setting up email account in Nokia N900 is quite straight forward, but if your outgoing email server requires authentication, there are few options which need to be defined correctly before you can start sending emails. If you see ‘Failed’ message for attempting to send email, following are the steps which will resolve this problem, I hope they do!
Pop Email account setup steps for Nokia N900
- Click on the "New Account" and start the ‘Account Setup Wizard’ by tapping ‘Next’.
- Select your country/region and service provider or just select ‘others’ and name the Account.
- On the ‘Account setup: User details’ screen, provide Name, Username, Password and Email address and tap ‘Next’.
- On the ‘Account setup: Incoming Details’ screen, select Account type to ‘pop3’, provide pop incoming server details, keep the ‘secure authentication’ option unchecked, and also keep ‘Secure connection’ to none(of course if you don’t want to use secure connection) and tap ‘Next’.
- On the ‘Account setup: Outgoing details’, provide outgoing smtp server address, select the ‘Secure authentication’ to ‘Login’ option, ‘Secure connection’ to none and tap ‘Next’.
- Now you are on ‘Account setup: Complete screen’, tap the ‘Advanced Settings’ option and change the default port 25 to whatever port your server requires. Most email servers these days do not use default 25 port, rather 26 but you need to confirm this at your hosting server panel.
- Now tap ‘Finish’ and you are done.
Just send a test email to yourself and if you have setup everything correctly, message will successfully be sent and received.
Hope that helps!
salam agha ali.age az iran hasti b man pm bde.montazeretam
Let me to ask something else too I can easily use yahoo messenger on my nokia n900 but i cant use yahoo mail on it arent they similar site? if so why im having problem to use the yahoo mail?
You are right that both of these are Yahoo applications but both work differently.
Yahoo has not allowed popping emails using any other mail client for free accounts for a long time. Earlier they adopted this policy for money but now they risk losing users completely.
i couldnt log in on my email as completing as above all the time it says unable to connect to pop.yahoo.com server name or port number may be incorrect please somebody help me to set up the email on my nokia n900
As far I know, Yahoo mail does not allow popping emails using free accounts (Gmail does!). You need Yahoo mail plus account to enable pop emails. Also, before trying to setting it up, you also need to enable the pop and forwarding settings from Yahoo mail options but these might only be availble for mail plus.
If you have already enabled these, try to setup Yahoo! email account in Outlook first and see if it’s only a Nokia N900 issue.