Although setting up email account in Nokia N900 is quite straight forward, but if your outgoing email server requires authentication, there are few options which need to be defined correctly before you can start sending emails. If you see ‘Failed’ message for attempting to send email, following are the steps which will resolve this problem, I hope they do!
Pop Email account setup steps for Nokia N900
- Click on the "New Account" and start the ‘Account Setup Wizard’ by tapping ‘Next’.
- Select your country/region and service provider or just select ‘others’ and name the Account.
- On the ‘Account setup: User details’ screen, provide Name, Username, Password and Email address and tap ‘Next’.
- On the ‘Account setup: Incoming Details’ screen, select Account type to ‘pop3’, provide pop incoming server details, keep the ‘secure authentication’ option unchecked, and also keep ‘Secure connection’ to none(of course if you don’t want to use secure connection) and tap ‘Next’.
- On the ‘Account setup: Outgoing details’, provide outgoing smtp server address, select the ‘Secure authentication’ to ‘Login’ option, ‘Secure connection’ to none and tap ‘Next’.
- Now you are on ‘Account setup: Complete screen’, tap the ‘Advanced Settings’ option and change the default port 25 to whatever port your server requires. Most email servers these days do not use default 25 port, rather 26 but you need to confirm this at your hosting server panel.
- Now tap ‘Finish’ and you are done.
Just send a test email to yourself and if you have setup everything correctly, message will successfully be sent and received.
Hope that helps!